JOB TITLE: DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC WORKS
DEPARTMENT: Public Works
JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for directing and supervising the work of the department, including the maintenance of city streets and parks.
- Manages and supervises the daily operation of the department, including the work of personnel involved in the maintenance of streets and drainage systems.
- Supervises the work of employees involved in landscaping, mowing, installing street signs, patching potholes, and trimming trees/shrubs.
- Trains, schedules, and supervises the work of departmental employees; assigns work routes.
- Schedules maintenance and repair of departmental vehicles and equipment; maintains records of their use, maintenance, and repair.
- Prepares the annual departmental budget; monitors expenditures to operate within budget.
- Operates such equipment as a motor grader, backhoe and front-end loader; assists with the work of departmental personnel as needed.
- Maintains various records on departmental activities.
- Oversees Community Service Workers assigned by Municipal Court Judge.
- Oversees the collection and recycling of leaves and limbs.
- Orders supplies and equipment as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Knowledge of the techniques, equipment, and supplies used in street and drainage system maintenance.
- Knowledge of general civil engineering principles.
- Knowledge of city and departmental policies and procedures and safety rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of the geography of the city, including street names and locations.
- Skill in the operation and maintenance of such equipment as a backhoe, front-end loader, and motor grader.
- Skill in directing, organizing, and supervising work.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The City Administrator assigns work to accomplish departmental goals and objectives. Work is reviewed through conferences, reports and observation of departmental activities.
GUIDELINES: Guidelines include city, state, and departmental rules and regulations, traffic laws, and civil engineering principles. These guidelines require judgment, selection, and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY: This position consists of varied technical and managerial duties. Inclement weather and equipment breakdowns contribute to the complexity of the work.
SCOPE AND EFFECT: The purpose of this position is to manage the operation of the Public Works Department. Successful performance helps ensure the safety and attractiveness of city streets, city parks, city owned buildings, and an overall positive image for the city.
PERSONAL CONTACTS: Contacts are typically with co-workers, other city employees and the publics served by the department.
PURPOSE OF CONTACTS: Contacts are typically to give and exchange information, motivate personnel, provide services, and resolve problems.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The work is typically performed with the employee intermittently standing, walking, bending, or sitting. The employee must occasionally lift light and heavy objects and use tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work is typically performed in an office and outdoors. The employee may be exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, machinery with moving parts, and inclement weather. The use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, or gloves may be required.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: This position has direct supervision over Assistant Superintendent and Crew Leaders, but also requires interacting directly with all Public Works personnel including mower operators, street maintenance workers, leaf and limb collection crew, and mowing equipment operators.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills typically associated with a high school education.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the diverse objectives and functions of Public Works Department in order to direct and coordinate work, usually interpreted to require three to five years of related experience.
- Possession of a valid CDL license issued by the State of Georgia.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $42,176.00 - $71,754.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Maintenance Supervisory: 5 years (Required)
- Heavy equipment operation: 3 years (Required)
- Supervising: 5 years (Required)
- Budgeting: 2 years (Preferred)
- Crew management: 3 years (Required)
- CDL A Driver's License (Required)