Kettle Creek Battlefield Park
On February 14, 1779, a hastily-organized group of only 360 Patriots defeated more than 800 Loyalists at the Battle of Kettle Creek to forever break the stanglehold the British had on Georgia. Located just outside of Washington, Kettle Creek Battlefield was purchased by the Daughters of the American Revolution in 1900 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. Monuments atop ''War Hill'' date back to 1930 and honor those who fought during the pivotal battle. Visitors will find picnic areas and several miles of woodland trails with interpretive signs and native wildflowers. Preservation continues and newly discovered burial sites have been marked along the trails. Each February the site plays host to Revolutionary Days with a parade, battle re-enactments, pageantry, and the laying of honorary wreathes.
From Downtown Washington, Georgia: On West Robert Toombs Ave (Hwy 78) turn left onto Hwy 44. Go approximately 9 miles turn right onto Stoney Rdg Rd and then left onto Court Ground Rd. L at War Hill